Mazuma is now Vyde


Personal tax returns are due on April 15th, but with an extension, the deadline is extended until October 15th. If you have not  filed taxes by the traditional April 15th deadline, there is a late filing penalty on 5% of what you owe, which is added to your tax balance each month you do not file taxes. Additional taxes and fees are also added if you do not file taxes on time.

However, if you know you will not be able to file your taxes on time, there is some relief. You can file an individual income tax extension that provides you with an additional 6 months to pay. You do not have to provide the IRS with a reason for your tax extension, you simply have to request one by the tax extension request deadline of April 15th.

In order to file a tax extension, you will need to fill out a Form 4868, available on the IRS website. This form can be submitted electronically or by mail, but it must be postmarked by the original tax deadline of April 15th or sent electronically by midnight.

After you’ve filled out the Form 4868, your tax deadline is now October 15th. However, filing a tax extension does not give you extra time to pay your taxes–it only provides you with time to calculate and file your income tax forms. Even with an extension, your tax payment is still due on April 15th, and needs to be submitted with your Form 4868. If you do not pay 90% of your tax payment by April 15th, you will incur late fees and penalty charges from the IRS.

If you filed an individual income tax extension this year and need help preparing your taxes, Vyde can help.

Other posts that might interest you:

6 Reasons Why Filing a Tax Extension with the IRS is a Good Decision

Top 10 Things You Should Do If You File a Personal Tax Extension

Q&A: Do I need to request a state tax extension if I filed an IRS tax extension?

Q&A: My 6 month extension on my personal taxes is due on 10/15.  Help!

Q&A: What if I missed the IRS tax extension deadline?

Q&A: What if I can’t file my personal taxes by my IRS tax extension deadline?

Q&A: Can I file a second IRS tax deadline extension for my personal taxes?


Download our tax savings guide for small businesses today!