Mazuma is now Vyde

Image of two successful business partners working at meeting in


If you filed a corporate business tax extension this year, you now have an additional five or six months to file your taxes, depending on when your original tax deadline was. Most corporate business tax extension requests allow a business owner until October 15th file taxes with the IRS. Some tax extensions are only valid until September 15th if they  are operating based on a calendar year, rather than a fiscal year.

Assuming you’ve already sent your Form 7004 to the IRS requesting an extension, here’s what you need to do next:
  1. Determine your tax payment and submit it to the IRS before April 15th. If your business bookkeeping is up to date, you should be able to determine your payment total by multiplying your taxable income by your current tax rate.
  2. Subtract any quarterly estimated tax payments you have already made throughout the year from your tax payment. It is best to submit your tax payment and your tax extension request at the same time.
  3. Wait for an approval from the IRS. Unlike a personal tax extension request, a corporate business tax extension must be approved before proceeding. The IRS will generally approve or deny your request within 24 hours of submitting your corporate business tax extension paperwork.
  4. Check to see if you need to file a state tax extension form as well. If you don’t owe any state taxes, you do not need to file an extension form. Click here for specific instructions on filing a personal tax extension in your state. In many cases, unless you owe state taxes, your federal automatic extension can be used to extend your state return(s) as well.
  5. If you are not able to pay your entire tax bill or did not submit any taxes due by the April 15th deadline, contact the IRS about setting up a payment or installment plan.
  6. Small businesses with employees can apply for an in-Business Trust Fund Express installment agreement. Find out if you qualify here.
  7. If you haven’t already, start preparing your tax return now. If you filed a corporate business tax extension but don’t necessarily need the full five or six months, it is best to get your return completed as soon as possible.
  8. If your corporate business tax extension request happened to be rejected by the IRS, they will notify you. Your request may be rejected for various reasons including a recent name change, business type change, if you moved your office, or entered your Tax Identification Number incorrectly. You will need to make any corrections on your tax extension request and resubmit.
  9. Hire a professional. If you’re behind on your medium or small business bookkeeping and taxes, a professional accountant can help you get caught up, file your taxes by your extended deadline, and maintain current records for the tax year ahead.
  10. Submit your tax return by the September or October 15th deadline. If you plan to e-file, your return must be submitted by midnight; if you plan to mail your tax return to the IRS, it will need to be postmarked by the due date.

Filing a corporate business tax extension is can be a complicated process, depending on your business entity type and the amount of tax documents you need to catch up on. If you still have questions about your personal tax extension, contact Vyde; we can help.


Other posts that might interest you:

6 Reasons Why Filing a Tax Extension with the IRS is a Good Decision

Q&A: How to file a corporate business income tax extension with the IRS

Q&A: Do I need to request a state tax extension if I filed an IRS tax extension?

Q&A: My 6 month extension on my corporate business taxes is due on 9/15.  Help!

Q&A: What if I can’t file my corporate business taxes by my IRS tax extension deadline?

Q&A: Can I file a second IRS tax deadline extension for my corporate business taxes?

Q&A: How do I file an amended tax return for my business?

Q&A: What if I missed the IRS tax extension deadline?